for more details on Järvenpää knives, and links to some video reviews!
This is a smaller puukko with a handle which is sized for smaller hands, but the blade is still very sharp, so it's up to you to decide if and when your child is ready for a knife like this. Otherwise, it would be a good small utility knife or neck knife for an adult. The handle is made from curly birch wood, sanded and polished to a smooth finish, and has a hooked pommel to prevent the knife from slipping out of your hand. The full-length tang is evident by the brass nut on the pommel, giving this knife added durability. The blade is lightly inscribed with the Iisakki Järvenpää signature.
The sheath is nicely detailed with stamped and stained artwork, it contains a plastic liner to prevent the very sharp blade from slicing through, and the belt loop is attached by a metal D-ring so that it swings freely and keeps out of the way when you're crouching or sitting.
Below are the detailed measurements of this knife. One important note: for best comfort and grip, the length of your middle finger should be similar to the circumference of the handle.
- Blade Material: high carbon steel, hardened to 57-58 Rockwell
- Knife Length: 7 inches (17.8 cm)
- Blade Length: 3.25 inches (8.3 cm)
- Blade Width: 0.45 inches (1.1 cm)
- Blade Thickness: 0.09 inches (2.3 mm)
- Knife Weight: 1.8 ounces (51 grams)
- Handle Length: 3.34 inches (8.5 cm)
- Pommel: tang end with brass nut
- Handle Circumference: 3 inches (7.6 cm)
- Handle Material: curly birch
- Sheathed Weight: 1.5 ounces (43 grams)
- Sheathed Length: 8 inches (20.3 cm)
- Belt Loop Width: 2.5 inches (6.4 cm)