for more details on Järvenpää knives, and links to some video reviews!Click here
for a great video review of this knife!
The handle on this knife is a real work of art, with stacked layers of birch bark, bronze, and fibre spacers, and polished and oiled, with solid ends of red bronze. The blade is lightly inscribed with the Iisakki Järvenpää signature. The shorter blade allows for finer control on more detailed work, be it carving or gutting. The full-length tang can be seen within the butt plate on the pommel, giving this knife added durability. When you hold this knife in your hand, you can feel the solid construction and high quality.
The sheath is nicely detailed with stamped artwork, it contains a plastic liner to prevent the very sharp blade from slicing through, and the belt loop is attached by a metal D-ring so that it swings freely and keeps out of the way when you're crouching or sitting.
This is quite an attractive piece and would make a great gift for any outdoors enthusiast!
The name Aito has a double meaning. There was a man named Aito Järvenpää who worked at the factory for about fifty years. He was both skilled and well liked. The word itself means something like “genuine” or “original” in Finnish.
Below are the detailed measurements of this knife. One important note: for best comfort and grip, the length of your middle finger should be similar to the circumference of the handle.
- Blade Material: high carbon steel, hardened to 57-58 Rockwell
- Knife Length: 7.5 inches (19 cm)
- Blade Length: 3.25 inches (8.3 cm)
- Blade Width: 0.75 inches (1.9 cm)
- Blade Thickness: 0.12 inches (3 mm)
- Knife Weight: 4.2 ounces (119 grams)
- Handle Length: 4.25 inches (10.8 cm)
- Pommel: brass cap
- Handle Circumference: 3.25 inches (8.3 cm)
- Handle Material: birch/brass stacked
- Sheathed Weight: 5.6 ounces (159 grams)
- Sheathed Length: 8.75 inches (22.2 cm)
- Belt Loop Width: 2.5 inches (6.4 cm)