for more details on Järvenpää knives, and links to some video reviews!
This is another great carving knife from Järvenpää, this time with a handle which is a bit shorter so you can use the palm of your hand on the pommel for chip carving. The shorter blade allows for finer control on more detailed work. The straight edge makes this knife a great choice for shaving layers of wood off of a project. The blade is lightly inscribed with the Iisakki Järvenpää signature. The knife is surprisingly lightweight, which reduces hand and wrist fatigue if you're using it for a long time. The handle is made from curly birch wood, sanded and polished to a smooth finish, with a thick rounded profille for a variety of grips.
The sheath is nicely detailed with stamped and stained artwork.
This is a really neat, compact and high-quality package!
Below are the detailed measurements of this knife. One important note: for best comfort and grip, the length of your middle finger should be similar to the circumference of the handle.
- Blade Material: high carbon steel, hardened to 57-58 Rockwell
- Knife Length: 5.5 inches (14 cm)
- Blade Length: 1.75 inches (4.4 cm)
- Blade Width: 0.75 inches (1.9 cm)
- Blade Thickness: 0.12 inches (3 mm)
- Knife Weight: 1.7 ounces (48 grams)
- Handle Length: 3.75 inches (9.5 cm)
- Pommel: wood, no tang
- Handle Circumference: 3.25 inches (8.3 cm)
- Handle Material: curly birch
- Sheathed Weight: 2.3 ounces (65 grams)
- Sheathed Length: 7.25 inches (18.4 cm)
- Belt Loop Width: 2.25 inches (5.7 cm)