for more details on Järvenpää knives, and links to some video reviews!
This is a basic, traditional puukko knife, with the blade blackened instead of polished. The shorter blade allows for finer control on more detailed work, be it carving or gutting. The blade is lightly inscribed with the Iisakki Järvenpää signature. The full-length tang is evident by the brass nut on the pommel, giving this knife added durability. When you hold this knife in your hand, you can feel the solid construction and high quality.
The sheath is nicely detailed with stamped artwork, it contains a plastic liner to prevent the very sharp blade from slicing through, and the belt loop is a twisted leather thong that allows the knife to swing freely and keep out of the way when you're crouching or sitting.
Below are the detailed measurements of this knife. One important note: for best comfort and grip, the length of your middle finger should be similar to the circumference of the handle.
- Blade Material: high carbon steel, hardened to 57-58 Rockwell
- Knife Length: 7.75 inches (19.7 cm)
- Blade Length: 3.5 inches (8.9 cm)
- Blade Width: 0.66 inches (1.7 cm)
- Blade Thickness: 0.12 inches (3 mm)
- Knife Weight: 3.1 ounces (88 grams)
- Handle Length: 4.25 inches (10.8 cm)
- Pommel: tang end with brass nut
- Handle Circumference: 3.5 inches (8.9 cm)
- Handle Material: curly birch
- Sheathed Weight: 4.3 ounces (122 grams)
- Sheathed Length: 9.25 inches (23.5 cm)
- Belt Loop Width: 2.5 inches (6.4 cm)