for more details on Järvenpää knives, and links to some video reviews!
This is an attractive package featuring a wide, solid carbon steel blade attached to a hefty handle. The short, solid blade is ideal for gutting small to medium-sized game. The full-length tang is evident by the brass nut on the pommel, giving this knife added durability. The handle is made from curly birch wood, sanded, stained, and polished to a smooth finish, and has both an inset for your index finger, and a hooked pommel so the knife will never slip out of your hand. The handle also has the image of a duck in flight burned into it. The blade is lightly inscribed with the Iisakki Järvenpää signature. When you hold this knife in your hand, you can feel the solid construction and high quality.
The sheath is nicely detailed with stamped and stained artwork, it contains a plastic liner to prevent the very sharp blade from slicing through, and the belt loop is attached by a metal D-ring so that it swings freely and keeps out of the way when you're crouching or sitting.
Below are the detailed measurements of this knife. One important note: for best comfort and grip, the length of your middle finger should be similar to the circumference of the handle.
- Blade Material: high carbon steel, hardened to 57-58 Rockwell
- Knife Length: 7.5 inches (19 cm)
- Blade Length: 3.33 inches (8.5 cm)
- Blade Width: 0.66 inches (1.7 cm)
- Blade Thickness: 0.13 inches (3.3 mm)
- Knife Weight: 4.6 ounces (130 grams)
- Handle Length: 4 inches (10.2 cm)
- Pommel: tang end with brass nut
- Handle Circumference: 3.5 inches (8.9 cm)
- Handle Material: curly birch
- Sheathed Weight: 4.5 ounces (128 grams)
- Sheathed Length: 9 inches (22.9 cm)
- Belt Loop Width: 2.5 inches (6.4 cm)