The Pigeon knife is designed for small game hunters, with a short blade and handle treated with linseed oil for improved grip in wet and slippery conditions. It would also be ideal as a carving knife, because the shorter blade allows for finer control on more detailed work. The blade is lightly inscribed with the Iisakki Järvenpää signature. The knife is surprisingly lightweight, which reduces hand and wrist fatigue if you're using it for a long time. The very attractive handle is made from stack layers of birch bark, flanked by pieces curly birch wood, sanded and polished to a smooth finish, with a thick rounded profille for a variety of grips. The full-length tang is evident by the brass nut on the pommel, giving this knife added durability.
The sheath is nicely detailed with stamped and stained artwork.
This is a really neat, compact and high-quality package!
Below are the detailed measurements of this knife. One important note: for best comfort and grip, the length of your middle finger should be similar to the circumference of the handle.
- Blade Material: high carbon steel, hardened to 57-58 Rockwell
- Knife Length: 6.33 inches (16.1 cm)
- Blade Length: 2.23 inches (5.7 cm)
- Blade Width: 0.75 inches (1.9 cm)
- Blade Thickness: 0.08 inches (2 mm)
- Knife Weight: 1.8 ounces (51 grams)
- Handle Length: 3.75 inches (9.5 cm)
- Pommel: brass cap
- Handle Circumference: 2.5 inches (6.4 cm)
- Handle Material: curly birch
- Sheathed Weight: 2.8 ounces (79 grams)
- Sheathed Length: 8.5 inches (21.6 cm)
- Belt Loop Width: 2.5 inches (6.4 cm)