for more details on Järvenpää knives, and links to some video reviews!
This is a great carving knife because it combined a short, stout blade with a large handle for lots of control and grip. The shorter blade allows for finer control on more detailed work. The full-length tang is evident by the brass nut on the pommel, giving this knife added durability. The knife is surprisingly lightweight, which reduces hand and wrist fatigue if you're using it for a long time. The blade is lightly inscribed with the Iisakki Järvenpää signature. The handle is made from curly birch wood, sanded and polished to a smooth finish, with a thick rounded profille for a variety of grips.
The sheath is nicely detailed with stamped and stained artwork.
This is a really neat, compact and high-quality package!
Below are the detailed measurements of this knife. One important note: for best comfort and grip, the length of your middle finger should be similar to the circumference of the handle.
- Blade Material: high carbon steel, hardened to 57-58 Rockwell
- Knife Length: 6.5 inches (16.5 cm)
- Blade Length: 2.25 inches (5.7 cm)
- Blade Width: 0.5 inches (1.3 cm)
- Blade Thickness: 0.11 inches (2.8 mm)
- Knife Weight: 2 ounces (57 grams)
- Handle Length: 4.25 inches (10.8 cm)
- Pommel: tang end with brass nut
- Handle Circumference: 3 inches (7.6 cm)
- Handle Material: curly birch
- Sheathed Weight: 2.5 ounces (71 grams)
- Sheathed Length: 7.75 inches (19.7 cm)
- Belt Loop Width: 2.5 inches (6.4 cm)