for more details on River Traders knives, and links to some reviews!
The Southwest Bird-Beak has a straight back and good belly which would be excellent for skinning, along with a sharp hook on the pommel, which resembles a bird's beak. This will help you keep a firm grip on the knife while using it for wet and slippery tasks like butchering and skinning.
Below are the detailed measurements of this knife. One important note: for best comfort and grip, the length of your middle finger should be similar to the circumference of the handle.
- Blade Material: 1095 carbon steel (0.95%)
- Knife Length: 9 inches (22.9 cm)
- Blade Length: 4.75 inches (12.1 cm)
- Blade Width: 1.2 inches (3 cm)
- Blade Thickness: 0.05 inches (1.3 mm)
- Knife Weight: 3.3 ounces (94 grams)
- Handle Length: 4.25 inches (10.8 cm)
- Pommel: rounded wood w/beak head
- Handle Circumference: 3 inches (7.6 cm)
- Handle Material: stained and polished maple
- Sheathed Weight: 5 ounces (142 grams)
- Sheathed Length: 9.5 inches (24.1 cm)
- Belt Loop Width: 3 inches (7.6 cm)