for more details on Wood Jewel knives, and links to some video reviews!
The "Mushroom Knife" is a traditional European style for walking through the woods and gathering mushrooms. The knife pommel has a brush to clear dirt off of the mushrooms. The handle is a very attractive assembly made by presssing together many thin layers of stained wood, and then sculpting and shaping the handle so that as the different layers are exposed, they form gorgeous surface patterns.
The sheath is nicely detailed with stamped and stained artwork, it contains a plastic liner to prevent the very sharp blade from slicing through, and the belt loop is attached by a metal D-ring so that it swings freely and keeps out of the way when you're crouching or sitting. The sheath also comes with a long leather cord if you want to hang the knife from around your neck, which for some folks is more convenient and comfortable when crouching to harvest mushrooms.
This is a really neat, compact and high-quality package!
Below are the detailed measurements of this knife. One important note: for best comfort and grip, the length of your middle finger should be similar to the circumference of the handle.
- Blade Material: stainless steel
- Knife Length: 7.5 inches (19 cm)
- Blade Length: 2.25 inches (5.7 cm)
- Blade Width: 0.67 inches (1.7 cm)
- Blade Thickness: 0.07 inches (1.8 mm)
- Knife Weight: 1.7 ounces (48 grams)
- Handle Length: 4.25 inches (10.8 cm)
- Pommel: wood w/brush
- Handle Circumference: 3 inches (7.6 cm)
- Handle Material: plywood
- Sheathed Weight: 2.7 ounces (77 grams)
- Sheathed Length: 9 inches (22.9 cm)
- Belt Loop Width: 12 inches (30.5 cm)