for more details on Wood Jewel knives, and links to some video reviews!
The "Northern Lights" knife is a great all-around camping, hunting, and utility knife for those who like longer and wider blades. This knife closely resembles a hybrid halfway between a puukko and a leuku. The handle is made from curly birch wood, sanded, stained, and polished to a smooth finish, with multiple accents of reindeer antler, and has both an inset for your index finger, and a hooked pommel so the knife will never slip out of your hand. The most attractive feature is the blade, which is engraved with a scene showing the aurora borealis (northern lights) over mountains. The full-length tang is evident by the brass nut on the pommel, giving this knife added durability.
The sheath is nicely detailed with stamped and stained artwork, it contains a plastic liner to prevent the very sharp blade from slicing through, and the belt loop is a twisted leather cord, which allows the knife to swing freely and keep out of the way when you're crouching or sitting.
Below are the detailed measurements of this knife. One important note: for best comfort and grip, the length of your middle finger should be similar to the circumference of the handle.
- Blade Material: 0.8% high carbon steel
- Knife Length: 9.75 inches (24.8 cm)
- Blade Length: 5 inches (12.7 cm)
- Blade Width: 1 inch (2.5 cm)
- Blade Thickness: 0.1 inches (2.5 mm)
- Knife Weight: 5.1 ounces (145 grams)
- Handle Length: 4.75 inches (12.1 cm)
- Pommel: antler w/tang end and brass nut
- Handle Circumference: 4 inches (10.2 cm)
- Handle Material: curly birch and antler
- Sheathed Weight: 7.2 ounces (204 grams)
- Sheathed Length: 11.5 inches (29.2 cm)
- Belt Loop Width: 2 inches (5.1 cm)