for more details on Wood Jewel knives, and links to some video reviews!
The "Opening Knife" is a smaller gutting knife, with the blade mounted opposite to the contour of the handle to make draw cuts more comfortable. The handle is a very attractive assembly made from different cuts of curly birch, capped by a pommel made from reindeer antleri, and has both an inset for your index finger, and a hooked pommel so the knife will never slip out of your hand. The full-length tang ise evident by the brass nut on the pommels, giving this knife added durability.
The sheath is nicely detailed with stamped and stained artwork, it contains a plastic liner to prevent the very sharp blade from slicing through, and the belt loop is a twisted leather cord, which allows the knife to swing freely and keep out of the way when you're crouching or sitting.
Below are the detailed measurements of this knife. One important note: for best comfort and grip, the length of your middle finger should be similar to the circumference of the handle.
- Blade Material: 0.8% high carbon steel
- Knife Length: 7.5 inches (19 cm)
- Blade Length: 3 inches (7.6 cm)
- Blade Width: 0.75 inches (1.9 cm)
- Blade Thickness: 0.12 inches (3 mm)
- Knife Weight: 3.1 ounces (88 grams)
- Handle Length: 4.58 inches (11.6 cm)
- Pommel: antler w/tang end and brass nut
- Handle Circumference: 3.25 inches (8.3 cm)
- Handle Material: curly birch and antler
- Sheathed Weight: 4.6 ounces (130 grams)
- Sheathed Length: 9 inches (22.9 cm)
- Belt Loop Width: 2 inches (5.1 cm)